Dr. Eng Michael Odongo has been on the news for a while now. He was elected parallel chief of Lango on February 10th 2017 with a number of clan heads standing behind him. His led group has been accused of trying to overthrow Mzee Yosam Odur’s led Lango cultural foundation. He is the Awitong (Clan Leader) of the Okar Omwono clan of Lango enthroned on 25 October 2010. Before falling off with Mzee Yosam Odur, he was Awitim (External Chief of Lango People) in the foundation.
Who is Dr. Eng. Michael Odongo Okune
He’s a professional Civil Engineer of 25 years standing with over 20-years of post-registration experience in design, construction and asset management of transportation infrastructure; mainly roads, bridges and geo-techniques. He holds advanced degrees in both engineering and management disciplines.
To-date he has held several senior positions of responsibility within the Public Service including being Chief Materials Engineer of Government (2007-2009) , pioneer CEO of Uganda Road Fund (2009 to date) and current Chairman Engineers’ Registration Board Uganda . He has also led technical teams in several multi-million dollar road/bridge engineering projects both locally and internationally financed, typical cases being the USD30m El Nino Emergency Road Project of 1999 and the Pre-Investment Study for the 2nd Nile Bridge. I have over 10 years’ experience in road maintenance management as district and later regional maintenance manager.
He has extensively researched and academically achieved in the fields of pavement/bridge/geotechnical/materials engineering and road maintenance. He has an excellent motivational public speaker, communicator and team-builder. he has vast knowledge and experience in the road industry in Uganda and East African region. The USD 120 million Uganda Road Fund I have led head since November 2009 finances maintenance of public road undertaken by various Statutory Authorities, Districts and Urban Local Governments.
The position is strategic in the transport sector and accords me significant influence over various policy directions in management of transport infrastructure and services. As Chairman of ERB, He has a mission to enforce quality and discipline in engineering practice and enhance respectability and prestige of the profession. He’s a computer literate with working knowledge of most Microsoft Application packages. He’s familiar with ROMAPS and HDM IV road management planning tools.
- PhD in Civil Engineering, Makerere University, January 2009.
- (Bridge) Engineering, University of Surrey, UK (2005).
- MBA, Esami/Maastricht School of Management (2003).
- Master Engineering (Civil), Makerere University, January 2003.
- BSc (Civil) Engineering – Makerere University Kampala, 1989.
- Certificate, Road Sector Management (Phase 1, 18 August to 5 September 2008 in Stockholm Sweden and Phase 2, 30 March to 5 April 2009 Gaborone Botswana).
- Certificate, Competitive Grant Proposal Writing, Uganda National Council for Science and Technology, January 2008.
- Certificate of Competence, Public Speaking, British Council, June 2007.
- Certificate of Attendance, International Seminar on Sustainable Road Financing & Investment, Arusha, Tanzania, April 16 to 20 2007.
- Certificate of Attendance, The Construction Industry Know-How Transfer Seminar, Ministry of Works and Transport Uganda & Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport Japan, Kampala January 2007.
- Certificate of Attendance, Basic Cadre Development Course/Retreat, National Leadership Institute Kyankwanzi 13 – 27 October 2003.
- Certificate, Management of Appropriate Technology in the Road Sector for Developing and Emerging Economies, 25-29 June 2001, Transport Research Laboratory UK.
- Certificate in Road Fund Management and Financing, 19 – 23 April 1999, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Certificate in Road Management, 12 -16 April 1999, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Registered Engineer – Engineers’ Registration Board Uganda, 1995
- Member, Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers (MUIPE), 1995
- Member – Institution of Highways & Transportation – U.K, 1992
- Assessor of professional papers and engineering reports for the Engineers’ Registration Board, Uganda.
- Corresponding member, PIARC (World Road Congress) Committee C.4 on Bridges.
- Chairman, Governing Council Uganda Technical College Lira (2005 to 2008).
- Member, Change Management Team of the reformed Ministry of Works and Transport (2009).
- Senior Researcher, Millennium Science Initiative MSI) on Pozolana as a construction material.
- Part-time Lecturer in Pavement engineering and research supervisor for higher degree courses in the Department of Civil engineering, Makerere University.